The Brookfield Show history dates back to the formation of the Brookfield Pullen Vale and Moggill Farmers’ Association at a public meeting held at the Brookfield Hall in 1897. An association meeting in 1905 suggested that a “Show Society” be formed to publicise the district and all its produce.
The show began as a two-day event in 1910. It was opened by the Governor of Queensland, Sir William McGregor, and was considered only a little less important than the RNA Exhibition. Early Brookfield Shows attracted high-quality exhibitors in the dairy section. Equestrian events, trotting and hack classes were popular. Grand parades provided spectators with a lot of enjoyment. The Brookfield, Pullen Vale and Moggill Show Society held its last show in 1926, although regular horse events, sports meetings, fetes and dances continued to be popular.
A public meeting was called in 1953 to consider local talk of another Brookfield Show. Initially, country fairs were held in 1954, 1955 and 1956. These led to the new Brookfield Show Society being inaugurated at a public meeting on 18 September, 1956. The first of the new shows was held on 6 July, 1957. It included a programme of ring events, not surpassed by a single day at any Queensland Show which pleased all those interested in horses. There were poultry, goats, side-shows, stalls, machinery, car displays and refreshments.
In 1980, with the innovation of a Friday “District Day”, the Show began to run for three days, and that’s how it runs today. Up to 20,000 people, mainly from Brisbane’s western suburbs, attend over the three days, along with competitors from across south-east Queensland.
As ever, the show is organised by a band of enthusiastic volunteers. In the week before the show they always wonder why they do it, but they do. It’s their contribution to our heritage, and it’s your heritage too.